Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 11 November 2016

Bearded Tit





We started our usual morning walk around Kents Hill, Walton and Simpson, and because it was such a nice morning, I decided we'd go round Caldecotte Lake too.
A long walk, over 3 hours, but I'm glad I did.


As we walked past some reeds, a pinging sound stopped me in my tracks.

Was that a Bearded Tit I'd just heard?


There it was again. 


I only had my small camera with me, so I quickly set it to video, and aimed it at the reeds where the sound was coming from.
So glad I did, because after a short time, a single Bearded Tit flew up out of the reeds, over my head and into the sun, down towards some more reeds further along.


The first time I've seen one here in all the time I've been visiting.



Here's the very short video:









Full list of today's sightings



Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Little Egret [sp] (Egretta garzetta)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Bearded Tit [sp] (Panurus biarmicus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  29


4 comments:

  1. Nice one...be good if they've found a new home?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic bird to get on your patch. Bet you couldn't believe it at first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope so Trev. Plenty of reeds there. I only heard and saw one though. Maybe it was an advance scout?

    Thanks Simon, certainly was. I almost missed it though, just heard it at first as we walked past.

    Findlay, in the 8 years I've regularly visited here, it's the first one I've seen here. There is a smaller lake at Walton, less than a mile away that did have some a few years ago. Maybe their offspring moving to new territory?

    ReplyDelete